Ok, so here is the finished banana chip project. It went splendidly to plan. But I did make a minor modification in the plan:
I started the project dehydrating the banana slices on 125 degrees, but found, before I went to bed, they were drying out faster than I anticipated. So I turned the temperature back to 115. I had my husband turn the machine off at 7am, when he gets up, to complete a 12 hour cycle.
The chips were perfectly dried. Chewy, flavorful and lovely.
Just a note as to quantity- I expected my 2 large bunches to become a quart mason jar of dried chips, but they ended up being more like 2!
I am told that if you spray a fine mist of lemon juice over the slices they will stay truer in color. But I couldn’t be bothered. The color of them doesn’t put me off at all. If it bothers you, lemon juice is an option.
Thinking ahead to fruit leather, I am thinking of using the applesauce I canned in the Fall, and a puree of some fruit I have in the freezer. I have raspberries and blackberries, so I am excited for the future of healthy snacking!!! Take that BigFood!!!!!!
That’s it for today. It’s Day 5 of a 10 day run at my day job, so I will be along when I have time and inspiration. Be well. Handcraft. Be awesome America! Stick It To Monsanto!